Tuesday 7 June 2011

Mapping My Placement


After visiting two more agencies today, I wanted to make a visual representation of where I've been in Lima on my placement. I'm living in Miraflores (the bottom red star) and working regularly at the office in Jesus Maria (the top red star). My first agency visits were to Vitarte (the blue star that is lowest and fairly east of the office) and Huaycan (the blue star furthest east) on May 24th. On May 27th, I visited the agency in San Juan de Lurigancho (the blue star just north of the center of Lima). Today I visited the agencies in Los Olivos and Comas (north and to the west). I still have yet to visit the agency in Huarochiri, but that should be in the near future (the star that's to the north and east). The seventh agency is in Huancayo - a city well outside of Lima that would take more than a day trip, so I'm doubting that I'll be visiting. It's been really cool to see so much of Lima though. I was struggling to find words to describe why I appreciated getting the chance today, and William my boss put it perfectly in saying "Es la realidad" ("It's reality). Seeing all of these places has really helped me gain perspective on the scale of Lima (and its over 9 million inhabitants), the work of my organization, and the complexity and extent of poverty in Lima.

No comments:

Post a Comment