Wednesday 25 May 2011

Random Reflections

I thought rather than doing a full blog post today, I would just list a random collection of reflections on various things I've seen and done in Lima.

- There's nothing quite like taking a combi ride through the streets of Lima. A combi is basically a bus, although some are more like vans. Yesterday, I took four separate combis, each one a unique experience in and of itself. From the porters yelling out destinations trying to attract customers to an already jammed packed bus, to trying to keep your balance when the bus suddenly veers off to the side of the road to pick someone up. Not to mention that its scary enough when the tiny inconspicuous taxi makes a quick lane change, nevermind when your bus jumps out in front of another bus forcing it to slam on its brakes. A common occurrence, I assure you. Plus, where else can you purchase a slice of apple-pie mid-transit?

- The food in Lima has been incredible so far, and I still have lots to try. My favourite dish is aji de gallina, a chicken dish served in a spicy yellow cream sauce with rice and potatoes. It is absolutely delicious. Some other highlights (besides the sandwich and juice I've raved about) include lomo saltado, a steak stirfry with rice, potatoes (ie. french fries), tomatoes and lots of onions, and trout that I had while on the island of Taquile on Lake Titicaca. Also, yuquitos (yucca fries stuffed with cheese served with aji dip). Yum. Next on the menu? I've yet to try Lima's famous ceviches, and perhaps I'll attempt the infamous cuy (guinea pig) if I'm feeling brave.

- As of this Friday, it will have been one month since I got on the plane to fly to Peru. Where. Has. Time. Gone?

- I've only had a few embarrassing moments of Spanish thus far on my trip. Lots of stuttered sentences and jumbled conjugations, but rarely anything too bad. The other day, however, I was at the grocery store and tried to tell the cashier that I didn't need a plastic bag because I would put the stuff in my backpack. But I blanked on the word for backpack. What came out instead was "shirt". Backpack = mochila. Shirt = camisa. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment